Freelance Writing, Editing, Social Media Management, and Consulting
With more than a dozen years’ experience as a professional writer and editor, I provide expert freelance services:
- Writing articles from pitch to publication, including conceptualizing ideas; researching; pursuing and conducting interviews; suggesting and securing art; providing copy to word count and on time; and incorporating edits.
- Content editing for character, plot, structure, theme, and voice (for fiction writers) and ledes, transitions, structure, logic, citations, and flow (for nonfiction).
- Social media management, including writing, repurposing, and editing content for blogs and status updates using blogging software (WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr), Facebook, Twitter, and dashboards (HootSuite, Tweetdeck).
- Copyediting for grammar, punctuation, and usage in AP or Chicago style.
- Copy writing of headlines, subheads, slugs, and captions.
- Simple design.
As a freelancer, my clients have included L.A. Biz, Boxoffice Magazine, PasteMagazine.com, Moving Pictures magazine, Kohn Communications, Freedom Press (publisher of Healthy Living magazine), the University of Southern California, Los Angeles CityBeat, DGA Quarterly, Los Angeles Confidential Magazine, FilmStew.com, Request Magazine, Los Angeles Weekly, and Minneapolis/St. Paul City Pages, as well as private individuals.
2009–2011: Moving Pictures magazine and MovingPicturesNetwork.com, Santa Monica, CA
Moving Pictures tells the stories behind the movies and how movies affect society and you. My responsibilities include the following:
- Writing and editing a comprehensive film review section on the website, including coordinating screening schedules; assigning freelancers; acquiring art; and posting online.
- Writing and editing feature articles on the business and making of movies in the magazine and on the website, including conceptualizing ideas; assigning freelancers; researching; pursuing and conducting interviews; suggesting and securing art; providing copy to word count and on time; incorporating edits; and posting online.
- Overseeing the maintenance of online databases of film festivals, schools, and locations.
- Overseeing interns and freelancers, including delegating assignments and setting and enforcing deadlines.
- Content and copyediting for ledes, transitions, structure, logic, flow, grammar, punctuation, and usage in AP style.
- Working closely with the publisher, editor-in-chief, and art director on the editorial direction of the magazine and website.
- Working closely with the web team on SEO and social-media strategies for the website.
- Archiving copy and artwork for the magazine and the website.
- Handling invoices for the magazine and the website.
Advisory Editor and Editor-in-Chief
2005-2009: Southern California Review, Los Angeles, CA
Previously known as the Southern California Anthology, Southern California Review is the biannual poetry, fiction, and nonfiction literary magazine published by the University of Southern California’s Master of Professional Writing Program. My responsibilities have included the following:
- Overseeing a staff of two dozen, including calling and leading meetings, delegating assignments, and setting and enforcing deadlines.
- Working closely with the head of the department and printer on the contents and look of the book.
- Soliciting, selecting, and copyediting submissions; working closely with authors to edit their copy.
- Writing, editing, and preparing copy for the front and back cover, title page, masthead, In Memoriam, contributors notes, and in-house ad pages.
- Laying out and working with copy in PageMaker and InDesign.
- Overseeing the marketing and distribution of the journal to local booksellers.
- Preparing editorial budget proposals and overseeing administrative bookkeeping.
2007-2008: USC Writing Center, Los Angeles, CA
A service offered by the USC Writing Program to the entire university, the Writing Center helps students improve their critical thinking and writing skills. My responsibilities included the following:
- Conducting one-to-one consultations with students, including those enrolled in Writing 140 and non-native English speakers.
- Meeting weekly in one-to-one consultations with students enrolled in Writing 095.
- Leading small-group workshops on subjects of grammar, style, and skill.
Various editorial positions, including Editor
1998–2008: Boxoffice Magazine, Beverly Hills, CA
Boxoffice Magazine is a trade publication for the motion picture exhibition industry. Over the years I have served as Film and Technology Editor, Editor, and Editor-at-Large. My responsibilities included the following:
- Overseeing staff editors and freelance writers, including leading editorial meetings, delegating assignments, and setting and enforcing deadlines.
- Working closely with the publisher and COO on the editorial direction of the magazine.
- Working closely with the art director on artwork, design, and copy-fit.
- Writing, editing, and laying out feature articles on business and technological topics related to the exhibition industry, including coordinating with company publicists to arrange interviews, conducting said interviews, assigning freelancers, and acquiring art.
- Writing, editing, and laying out talent profiles, including coordinating with studio and personal publicists to arrange interviews, conducting said interviews, assigning freelancers, and acquiring art.
- Writing, editing, and laying out a comprehensive film reviews section, including coordinating screening schedules, assigning freelancers, and acquiring art.
- Writing, editing, and laying out a column that previews film releases on a monthly basis.
- Editing the Studio and Independent film release charts, which forecast upcoming movies.
- Writing, editing, and laying out various news columns, covering the business activities of the Hollywood studios and suppliers to the exhibition industry as well as technological advances in digital cinema, large format, and the Internet.
- Attending and reporting on industry events, including preparing preshow coverage (procuring essays by event coordinators, profiling awardees, assembling tradeshow booth lists, and assembling new products sections) and updating online coverage daily while covering the event.
- Coordinating and laying out special projects, such as the comprehensive annual Buyers Directory.
- Writing, editing, and posting daily news items and a weekly blog on the company website.
Film Editor and Staff Writer
1997-1998: Minnesota Daily, Minneapolis, MN
The Minnesota Daily is the student-run newspaper of the University of Minnesota. I worked on the publication’s weekly A&E (arts and entertainment) insert. My duties included the following:
- As the film editor, writing and editing film reviews and other related coverage, including coordinating screenings and interviews with local publicists, reviewing said screenings and conducting said interviews, assigning freelancers, and acquiring art.
- As a staff writer, producing weekly articles in the areas of film, visuals arts, theater, comics, and entertainment exhibits and events and acquiring art.
2005-2008: University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- MPW (Master of Professional Writing)
1994-1998: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- BA, Film Studies
- Minor, American Studies
I have a working knowledge of such computer software as Microsoft Word, Adobe InDesign, Quark XPress, Adobe PageMaker, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, and Filemaker as well as such Internet-related applications as Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Outlook Express, and Outlook Entourage. I have experience in posting items on the Internet using WordPress, Blogger, and Tumblr. I am proficient in both Mac and PC computers.